WIldland Fire Science CC
Wildland Fire Department | 3 CC - Certificate of Completion | 1 year
Learn to understand how wildfire behaves, how to prevent or fight it and maintain forests while gaining valuable response and survival skills with Clackamas Community College’s Wildland Fire Science certificate.
The field of wildland firefighting and forestry is one of the most demanding, yet rewarding, lines of work. If you love the outdoors, yearn for adventure and travel, and enjoying working as part of a team, then wildland fire could be for you.
Clackamas Community College Fire Science program provides education and training that can lead to seasonal or permanent employment with state, federal and private contract firefighting or within the timber industry.
There are many career tracks in the field of wildland firefighting and forestry. It's exciting work that requires fundamental survival, safety and firefighting skills.
Continuing Education for Firefighters
Separate from its degrees and academic certificates, Clackamas Community College also offers re-certification trainings and professional development opportunities for wildland firefighters, forestry workers, public land managers and natural resource field technicians.
Our S courses, other professional workshops and refresher courses will boost your skills and allow you to advance in your profession, available at www.cccwildfire.com.
Wildland Fire Science Core Requirements
Complete the following Core Requirements
- General Biology; Plants & the Ecosystem
- General Biology; Plants & The Ecosystem Lab
- Basic Forest Management
- Basic Forest Management Lab
- Basic Wildland Fire Investigation (FI-110)
- Introduction to Wildland Firefighting (S-130/S-190/ICS-100/IS-700/L-180)
- Advanced Firefighter Training (S-131/S-133)
- Forest Management Assessments and Inventories
- Portable Pumps and Water Use (S-211)
- Wilderness I: Psychology of Survival
- Wilderness II: Basic Land Navigation (S-244)
- Wilderness III: Weather of the Northwest
- Wilderness IV: Backcountry CPR/First Aid/AED
- Followership to Leadership (L-280)
- Wilderness VI: Basic Tool Use and Care
- Basic Air Operations (S-270)
- Principles of Geospatial Technology
Computation Related Instruction
Complete MTH-050 or MTH-065
- Technical Mathematics I
- Algebra II
Communication Related Instruction
Complete WR-101 or WR-121Z
- Workplace Writing
- Composition I